Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pole position

At the end of a manic week it is always nice to kick back with my pole girls. We have choreographed a routine to Dusty Springfield's Son of a Preacher Man.

I arrived feeling like a wrung out dish rag, rigid with stress, but within ten minutes of starting the class I could feel my energy coming back. My back uncrunched, my waist and hips unlocked and we managed to make up a dance that was both burlesque and athletic. The girls I dance with on Thursday night have been coming for over two years now: this is more than a dance class, this is a sisterhood.

Walk round, big step, back spin, bump, shimmy, rock n' roll spin twice, drop into plie, shake head, carousel spin, pivot, Egyptian spin, windmill,

and laugh and laugh.

New beginner's 4 week class starting Tuesdays, 6.30-7.30, April, New North Rd. Email me if you want to join in.


Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Shauna said...

oh man i would LOVE to try that... sounds like a good laugh :)

March 20, 2008 11:38 pm  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Nothing like the restorative power of the pole. No matter how knackered and grumpy I feel, a good pole session puts me right.

So glad you're still dancing - I did wonder.

Puss

March 21, 2008 2:42 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Shauna! I wish you lived nearer so you could come and try out a class!

Cheers Puss! I did have a few months off dancing but am back on it again. It's amazing how much upper body strength you lose after a break though.

March 21, 2008 4:49 pm  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Too right, but I find it's the inner thighs that suffer the most - major pole burn until the skin toughens up again. Ouch.

Puss

March 21, 2008 7:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home