Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Jon Ronson: R4

Here is a programme which went out at 11pm Tuesday ( or try here: 'Jon Ronson On uncontrolable responses') made by Jon Ronson, about ''uncontrollable responses''. In this programme, we looked at the reaction we both had when we found conspiracy theorists discussing the fact that they thought we were both *'shills' employed by the New World Order, complicit in covering up a sinister Government plot to kills its own people....

The fact that I am not a shadowy composite figure remains, of course, unproven....
*mwah hah ha* ( sinister laugh)

UPDATE: The character 'The Antagonist' was the first person I found linking to my site, claiming that 7/7 was a power surge and act of corporate manslaughter, covered up with a '1000-man terror rehearsal exercise,

''...as no-one would tolerate the random exploding of innocent civilians as part of routine crisis management exercises that take place all the time, these exercises employ clever pyrotechnics, stuntmen, and actors ('players' as Peter Power refers to them) to portray the parts of the 'civilians' and 'victims' involved in the crisis to be managed - just like in the movies where lots of things go bang all the time leaving lots of apparently horrific walking wounded, dead people and body parts in the aftermath...''

( from his blog. He is one of the four main leaders of the 'July 7th Truth' campaign' who pose as an open-minded 'people's investigation' into 7/7.)

*originally I had 'Zionist' shills here. Go and have a read of some of their stuff to see the old Z word popping up regularly. However, I can't remember if the 'Zionist' stuff aimed at me, rather than Jon, was left in a comment on my blog by a conspiraloon, or on one of their websites, so I have taken it out as I can't be bothered to hunt about finding it. I have a train to catch. I keep all comments so it'll be there somewhere. Jon got irritated with the Zionist stuff on the website too, but I am losing the will to link.

I know what's going to happen next, an avalanche of the usual insults, and fervent attempts to 'convert' me, and I am not going to be drawn into it, so comment moderator is going on, and if people want to carry on calling me a shill ( hello 'Ally' et al from 9/11 Truth forum'!) and what have you, they can do it on their own blogs and forums. I'm off to visit my parents for a few days and will put comments through when I am back, if they fall within the blog comment policy. My tolerance for abusive trolling is low these days.

The point of speaking out against this paranoid nonsense is because I think it is actually quite dangerous to peddle such tripe as Shayler does, online and in meetings/talks in church halls and pubs all over the country. For how can we work together to defeat murderous terrorism, to protect each other and to defend our ancient freedoms from the effects of the politics of fear- if a growing number of people will not even accept that extremist Islamist terrorism, and suicide bombers exist? It might not be very comfortable to deal with the fact that 4 normal-looking young Brits murdered and maimed so many on 7 July, but if people who have lost loved ones, or limbs, or who lead shattered lives in the aftermath can accept the horrific reality, why can't the internet 'truth-hunter' brigade manage it?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger digitaltoast said...

I heard the programme tonight and was just blogging about it - http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/jon-ronson-on-london-tube-bombing-conspiracy-nutjobs/ - when I found your blog.

These guys are mental. I thought we didn't have our own 9/11 type conspiratist sickos, but clearly mental health isn't good in the UK either.

June 13, 2007 1:50 am  
Blogger Adam said...

Sorry, this is wayyy of topic, but did I read a post and then link to your appearance on '28 Doughty Street' here yesterday?

Please tell you took it down (i don't care why) and that I am not going mad...

You were very good on the show btw...

June 13, 2007 9:31 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Adam, I don't know what happened there. I must have accidentally hit save as draft when I spell-checked it and did an edit. Sorry, It has gone back up now

Hi Digital Toast. I left a comment on your blog. It is indeed all most peculiar. The reason I get fed up with it is that I do not see what hope we have of defeating terrorism if people will not even accept that it exists. But I also now accept that beleiving in conspiracy theories fulfils a need for some people, and they are unable to let go of them. Interesting programme on that coming out on C4 soon, with psychologists looking at why some peopel are more susceptible to paranioa and delusions and conspiracy theories...

June 13, 2007 9:36 am  
Blogger Bridget said...

Rachel

I know that this won't get through moderation but feel the need to just get the facts straight.

I listened to what you said to Jon Ronson and also what you've written here.

You claim that you checked your stats and found that The Antagonist had linked to your blog. In fact his post linked to a comment made by 'R' on the BBC website. He would have no idea who 'R' was. If you hadn't then commented on his blog no-one else would have known either.

You have every right to hold your opinions as do we, whether you like them or not, that is what true liberty means.

June 13, 2007 11:32 am  
Blogger The Poet Laura-eate said...

Hi Rachel

Heard the R4 show last night (purely by accident as didn't realise it was going to be on) and couldn't believe my ears.

a I couldn't believe anyone would think you were other than a real human being (or is it THAT unusual for an ordinary person to stick their head above the parapet when they find themselves being misrepresented in conversations about them, but excluding them)?
b. Your opponent kept going on about 'evidence' yet put forward not a shred of anything resembling other than (second hand, since he wasn't there) opinion, himself. Therefore I found him considerably less credible than yourself.
c. Is it really so impossible to believe that anyone who survived 7/7 and saw what they saw would be deeply affected by it?
d. Anyone who was involved knows what their experience was - who is anyone else who was not there to question it?

Much though I suspect TB's government of all sorts of dodgy dealings over their tenure, I would never dream of rubbishing a survivor's experience of what they went through in an incident such as 7/7. You are evidently an intelligent individual who thinks for herself. Quite the wrong person for the government to even think of targetting for their paid stooge, even supposing one insists on being a conspiracy theorist about 7/7.

June 13, 2007 11:54 am  
Blogger Sir Francis Walsingham said...

The beauty of a true conspiracy theory is that all evidence is evidence of the conspiracy.

Shayler is interesting - like Peter Wright he started out by claiming that the government/security services weren't stern/authoritarian/thuggish enough. They both found that didn't sell. Now he's on the liberty-is-in-danger-from-*them* gig. More people want to hear that.
I think he couldn't spell liberty, personally.

As I have said before, conspiracy theories are about matching reality to deeply held beliefs. If you are a liberal, internationalist kind of person, the idea that President Kennedy was shot by a communist ex-defector isn't... right.

With respect to 7/11 - the idea that members of a designated victim community can be responsible is upsetting. George Bush/Blair/Neo Cons is more... comforting. Since they are evil, well, it's what you expect. In addition *we* are to blame, not them.

The irony is that the concept of a "victim community" is, of course, racist. It is the idea that some groups are just eternal pawns, with no self will, no intentions. No humanity. It is a pattern that you find in many conspiracy theories - the men in black make the decisions and all others are just chess pieces....

June 13, 2007 10:23 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

Conspiracy theorists are a fact of life these days. I have looked into the 9/11 conspiracy theories and from the scientific evidence that anyone can obtain freely online, the conspiracy theories fall down into a large farce.
I have great respect for the victims of terrorism who find the courage to speak out about their experiences of terrorism and the aftermath i.e. how they move forward in life.
I think that people are quite disconnected from terrorism in the west, to such a degree that when it happens, people will come up with conspiracy theories to avoid tackling the problem of terrorism head on.
The truth is often more painful than the lies used to hide the truth in the first place.
Just keep up with what you are doing Rachel, it's very informative and essitential (sp?) for people as it gives a small insight into the harsh reality of terrorism.

June 14, 2007 3:11 am  
Blogger The Poet Laura-eate said...

My father remembers where he was when Kennedy was shot.


On a grassy knoll by some book respository with a high powered rifle, apparently...

June 14, 2007 11:23 am  
Blogger Kris said...

Hi Rachel

the "truthers" really are in a league of their own. I suppose some minds cannot accept the real, inexplicable reality of 9-11 or 9-7.

June 14, 2007 12:43 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hi, Rachel!

I feel, unfortunately, that people of these ilk will always be around. I mean, if we have people denying that the Holocost happened, that 9/11 happened and now that 7/7 happened, they'll always be there. I wonder if they'll come up with a new definition for it as a particular psychosis/neurosis. Head-in-the-sand, maybe?

Have a good vacation!

June 14, 2007 6:50 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Well, this is all a bit of amiracle. I got back from visiting my parents, and I only had one frothing loonbat message. Good news.

Thanks to everyone who emailed, I am replying slowly and I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch

June 15, 2007 12:17 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

and thanks for the comments too

June 15, 2007 12:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 22, 2009 1:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home