Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Good bye Tony Blair

Goodbye Tony Blair.
Though I never met you at all
You had the nous to save yourself
While those around you fall.
The sleaze it swilled around you
But it never touched your toes.
Through it all you held your nerve
And smiled through hammer-blows.

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a showman on the stage
Always knowing who play to
Always facing down the rage.
And I would like to still believe you
Like I did ten years ago.
Your candle may have burned out
But you went on with the show.

‘Prime Minister’ was tough
The toughest role you ever played.
Washington created a superstar.
Blood was the price we paid.
Even as the thousands died
And the press all hounded you
All the spinning had to say
Was you 'believed' in what you do.

Goodbye Tony Blair
From the people that you served.
You were someone less than promised
But perhaps all that we deserved

with apologies to Elton John

PS. If you like that, try older posts How Mad is Tony Blair? and The Rules of the Game Have Changed for more subversive doggrel. And spelling of 'nous' changed on advisement

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant. I think Elton would approve. And be flattered by your emulation.

June 27, 2007 8:53 pm  
Blogger Paul Evans said...

A little harsh perhaps! Also, isn't it 'nous'?

June 27, 2007 9:20 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

It is 'nous'. And there is nothing so unforgiving as an ex-admirer

June 27, 2007 11:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Nouce"?!

And those apologies should be to Bernie Taupin.

June 28, 2007 11:21 am  
Blogger I Beatrice said...

I thought you were rather kind to him, actually!

Funny that, isn't (or wasn't) it? No matter what he does (or did), everyone goes on singing nice songs about Tony.

But now though - what song are we to sing about Glum Gordon?

June 28, 2007 11:41 am  
Blogger Does it matter who I am? said...

you were kind....

'Goodbye Tony Blair
From the people that you disserved'

might have been more apt.

To take up the I Beatrice challenge...some verse

To a Glum Gordon

O wad some power the giftie gie me
To see ma'sel as ithirs see me,
It wad frae monie a sulkie free me
An' foolish nose pick.
Piss poor layers o'dress an' gait wad lae'me
An' ev'n promotion!

June 28, 2007 8:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home