Saturday, March 24, 2007

Butternut squash soup


The weather is crap. England are playing Israel, badly. Weekend recipe time. I was feeling tired and cold so I made some soup for me and J. It was very easy to hurl together which was good because I am feeling very apathetic and couldn't be bothered to do anything much at all today. The last week has been mental. I needed to flump out and try to recall the peace of the Sanctuary visit when I was all happy and relaxed. Time for a DVD and some curling on the sofa with the papers whilst J watches the match and shouts at the useless overpaid clowns in the English team.


You will need...
1 butternut squash.

Couple of serving spoons of cream

Olive oil

Salt & pepper

Crispy bacon and/or grated parmesan to garnish


Serves 2 people.

Cut a squash in half, lengthways. Scoop out the seeds. Brush it with olive oil. Shove in oven for 40 mins or until soft at 180. Scrape out soft orange flesh. Put flesh in liquidiser with chicken or vegetable stock or bouillon ( I use about 3/4 pint per big squash) depending on how thick you like the soup. Whizz. Put in pan with salt and pepper on low, gentle heat. Swirl in cream. Taste to see if it needs more seasoning. Serve topped with crispy bacon pieces and /or grated parmesan.

It will be sweet and soft and a rich golden-orange colour and it is very filling.

Nice with a green or greek salad with salty feta on the side, dressed with pungent green oil and a splash of cider vinegar, if you want to be posh/make it into a main meal
You really don't really need bread. I've stopped eating bread, not had any for a month. I used to be addicted to the stuff. But it just made me tired all the time.

Clocks go forward tomorrow, but it doesn't feel like spring at all. I bought a beautiful cream swirly skirt covered in roses two weeks ago; it is still sitting in my wardobe, waiting for the sun to come out. I'm fed up with winter.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Calamity Jane said...

To make it even yummier and warmer if you fancy a change is to add a dollop of red curry paste. I always use it now because it's slightly addctive :-)

March 26, 2007 7:57 am  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I stopped eating bread a while back, not because it made me tired but because it made me, well, you probably don't want to know. I started to miss it after a while, so in case you do too, I'd like to pass on a tip I got from a friend: three minute spelt bread (recipe here http://www.truefood.coop/node/927). I made my first loaf yesterday and it really does take just a few minutes to throw together and put in the oven - no kneading, proving etc - and the taste and texture were great. (I didn't have the exact seeds the recipe called for, so some substitutions were made; that didn't seem to be a problem.)

March 26, 2007 9:28 am  
Blogger sugarsandsalts said...

Nice blog!Thanks for sharing those lovely recipes.

May 25, 2007 10:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home