Thursday, July 17, 2008

Links of the week

It's been rather a busy week so far, in and out of meetings, catching up with mates, and getting ready for the end of the '7/7 trial' ( the jury have retired to consider their verdict on three defendants accused of helping the 7/7 bombers to cause explosions) . I'm working on an update post explaining about where we are with the campaigning for an inquiry. Meanwhile, here is some good stuff from I noticed this week.

1. Unity at the ferociously smart Ministry of Truth investigative blog writes
'I've been looking into the Ladele v Islington tribunal case - the one about the registrar who refuse to do civil partnership ceremonies - and I think I've hit on something big.'
More here

2. Last week I gave a talk at City Circle, at the kind invitation of my friend Dr Usama Hassan.( I met up with Dr Hassan again yesterday after I went to a press briefing at the Foreign Office, where he was talking about a recent delegation back from Egypt to discuss Islamic issues including countering extremism and some footage of the delegation's experiences is linked on the F.O website). After the City Circle talk, I had the pleasure of meeting many interesting people, including Kate Monroe of The Virginity Project blog.

Kate explains
'Losing our virginity…it happens to almost all of us, no matter who we are or where we come from. How did it happen for you? Ever wondered what other people think and feel about this never-to-be-repeated experience? And how much more do we learn as we grow up? I am on a mission to find out. Follow my journey as I collect stories from as wide a selection of British people as possible. From men and women, old and young, gay, straight, Christian, Muslim and Catholic, from the funny and the sad, to the happy and occasionally, the unbelievable'
The Virginity Project is fascinating, sometimes heart-rending reading and deserves all the mainstream media attention it's been getting. It was great to meet you Kate and to find out about your site.

3. Martin Bright in the New Statesman about why he pulled out of speaking at Islam Expo and Harry's Place on why they are being ( possibly) sued.

4. Meanwhile the perenially -excellent Justin at Chicken Yogurt pours scorn on Gordon Brown's New Statesman interview.

5. And Mr Eugenides is unimpressed with Dave 'Lara Croft' Cameron

6. Finally, David Blunkett gets banged up

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home