Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Almost time to publish

From the publishers...

''I finished reading your manuscript last night and it is such a powerful read. I was totally absorbed by it and I think you pulled me through just about every emotion.You have the balance just right...''

Thank God they are happy with it. Oh, thank God; the relief is indescribable.

I can't stand to read the book through any more, it was driving me mad. I was up til 3.00am for a few nights last week, and flat out all day making last minute edits, and finishing it off. The worst bit was deciding to change the tenses of the first five chapters which meant a late night eye-bleeding rewrite changing everything from 'says' to 'said', and so on, it was indescribably tiresome, like when I used to have to mark English grammar exercises ( I used to teach English as a foreign language).

Just spent the afternoon doing a pre-record for the national news ( for a big terrorism story breaking next month). They wanted to mention the book. I said no. Please, no.

The book is personal and nothing to do with the campaign for an independent 7/7 inquiry. I'll talk about the book when it is time, after the big news story has broken and the news cycle has moved on. I really don't want to confuse the two separate issues. I don't want people to think the 7/7 inquiry campaigning is about the book. It is not; it never was. I only started writing the book in October 2006.

I speak out about an independent inquiry because I truly believe we need one. I have said so since December 2005, when the Government said they would not have one. And the more I found out, the more I realised how explosive it all was. And why they didn't want to have one. And it is frightening, and very sad, so sad.

I can't tell you what today's interview was about yet, as it is all sub judice. I will as soon as I can. There is one hell of a tidal wave coming, as secrets that have been hidden for too long start to emerge...I am relieved, privately, that this is finally happening, because I have had to sit on all this stuff for over 15 months, knowing what I know, but not allowed to say anything, because of the trial. Now the real reason why I - me, Rachel, personally - have been asking for an inquiry into 7/7 will be made clear.

I raised my voice at first, months ago, because people I care about - many survivors and bereaved wanted an inquiry. I was happy to do so, because it seemed to me in my naivety to be blindingly obvious - the public deserved independent, truthful public answers as a matter of public interest - regarding what was known before, during, and after 7th July. So we could all feel safe. So that trust would not break down. So we could learn lessons, and save lives, and spare suffering in the future. When it happened again.

I was thrust into the spotlight, because I had this blog, where I was honest about what I thought and what had happened, and it made easy copy and research for journalists. I was asked to write, and speak, by survivors and others, so I wrote and spoke.

And then I started to follow a trail. I read, I researched, I found out more and more and more. I talked to people. I listened. I made it my business to know, as much as I could find out.
Why?
I didn't want to let anyone down, by not being as briefed as I could be.

But what I found out was devastating. First, whispers, rumours. Then, facts, and I checked, and followed up, and I sat with what I knew, and sometimes I cried. And I bit my lip and waited.

I wish that I did not know what I found out.
But I had to know, because I still hear the screaming, and it will haunt me 'til I die.

Now the waiting is almost over

And the whispers will become a mighty roar. And many voices will be joining in the crying out, and perhaps, soon, there will be an end to this banging on a brick wall, and justice will come.

It was never about blame, I always said that. It was always about trying to save lives in the future.
People make mistakes, I always understood that. People feel terrible that it happened on their watch, I understand; I do not seek blood-letting; too much blood has flowed already.

If the people doing their jobs are the best, the brightest, the most well-briefed and highly trained, then they should admit their mistakes, learn, stay in their jobs and carry on.

If their conscience will not let them stay, because they failed, and they know how and why they failed to protect us, they should go.

It was, and is, not just about a failure of intelligence, but a failure to use intelligence.
A failure of imagination.

A misguided belief in a 'Covenant of Security', that was never security; that was a lie.

And for me, it is about the screaming I hear, still, in the darkness, when I sleep.
That might have been avoided, knowing what I know, what they knew, what we will all know, soon. And so I wait, and I write, and I wish, for what is coming soon.

You want to look prescient?

You can always sign here.

Labels: ,

28 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Rachel,

We're with you all the way. You're an inspiration and a remarkable person.

Just remember, you're not alone.

March 07, 2007 7:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Quarsan. Keep on keepin' on, Rachel.

March 07, 2007 8:17 am  
Blogger Billy said...

What the others said.

Best of luck.

March 07, 2007 9:24 am  
Blogger Surreptitious Evil said...

Signed (or, at least, awaiting the confirmatory email) having seen your post linked here.

Keep rolling on (and bashing the Home Office when ever you get the chance.)

S-E

March 07, 2007 10:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 07, 2007 10:44 am  
Blogger kris said...

From the publishers...

''I finished reading your manuscript last night and it is such a powerful read. I was totally absorbed by it and I think you pulled me through just about every emotion.You have the balance just right...''

Sorry Anon, ANY writer who gets this sort of feedback from a publisher has move from being a wannabe to an A list writer. I suspect even if anon pubished his/her name, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. So there you have it: sour grapes. There is a lot of it going round at the moment.

March 07, 2007 10:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Rachael - both on the book and your patience with all the nonsense you have suffered.
I wish you all the best for the future.

March 07, 2007 12:50 pm  
Blogger mad muthas said...

fantastic publisher feedback. you must be delighted. can't wait to read it!

March 07, 2007 2:01 pm  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Rachel, for what it's worth, you make me proud. Truly, you're inspirational.

Puss

March 07, 2007 2:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, I won't leave my name for obvious reasons but you'll figure out who I am. So proud of you! You have done everything for the right reasons and I look forward to reading your book. Hopefully we'll get to meet up for that overdue coffee very soon!

March 07, 2007 6:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh boy I can hardly wait to get a copy and find out what REALLY (nudge nudge wink wink)happened.

When does the book come out Rach so I man order a copy??will it be available on Amazon?

March 07, 2007 6:56 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

It's going to be out this summer, not sure of exact date yet... from all good book stores, supermarkets and amazon...it's not about a public inquiry though.. It would be very boring to write a whole book about that.


The inquiry stuff will go mental next month - or possibly at the end of this month - depending on various legal factors which can't be predicted.

The campaig for an inquiry is separate to the book, the book is personal, the campaign is public.IYSWIM.

March 07, 2007 7:38 pm  
Blogger piu piu said...

hi rachel-

sent u an email. when (if!) u reply, could you also tell me who is publishing your book?

cheers!

claire

March 07, 2007 8:03 pm  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Congratulations seem to be in order - on at least two fronts. Very very well done!

March 07, 2007 8:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the book's anything as good as this last post (and it reads as if written fast and in anger, but still shows your control and choice of rythm and spacing), your future as a professional writer is assured.

PS No point asking again for a preview is there ?

PPS "English as a foreign language" - sounds like what I see every day on the net, written by those whose first langauge *is* English; and 'taught', sadly, by people with English degrees. My Portugese correspondent's written English is better, even including the askance idioms, than that.

IainC

March 07, 2007 8:44 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone. I'm sprry I had to keep comment moderator on, until the trollspam stops.

IainC, I don't think I am allowed to publish a sneak preview but I will check with the publishers and let you know.

March 07, 2007 8:51 pm  
Blogger Davide Simonetti said...

I can only echo the other positive comments I've read on this thread.

Judging by the response of your publisher, I'd say your book will be a big hit.

Congratulations, I wish you the best of luck both with the book and your wedding.

Dx

March 07, 2007 8:57 pm  
Blogger kobwebby said...

Well, I hope you have metaphorically kicked a few deserving self-serving quango obsessed sociopathic spinmeister liars where it metaphorically hurts the most......

Yeah ok, silly question!

March 08, 2007 2:46 am  
Blogger TryingTimes said...

Rachel,

You have my best wishes.



TT.

March 08, 2007 8:45 am  
Blogger kobwebby said...

You may find the following useful.

Anyway; good luck...

1. You get abusive mails from somebody and want to know where it has come from!
2. Someone mails you claiming to be from one place and you suspect that he or she is from another place
3. You just want to track an email you received.
4. You want to trace an IP address or do an IP address lookup out of curiosity.

Main IP track util:

How to find the IP address of the sender in Gmail, Yahoo! mail or Hotmail:

There are other utilities that do the same job (whois), but this one also provides instruction on how to retrieve relevant details from Gmail etc.

Hey, you can even compare notes with other folk too!

March 08, 2007 11:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like it's available for pre-order at Amazon. I've added it to my wishlist.

March 08, 2007 12:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRS
Keep your spirits up, you'll pull through.
best wishes

March 08, 2007 2:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

On a lighter note, I checked the Amazon link Dave kindly supplied... and scrolled down...

Customers viewing this page may be interested in these Sponsored Links

Eurotunnel. Official Web Site
www.eurotunnel.com Drive to France in 35mins. From £49, book online now.

March 08, 2007 3:56 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

I know. Fantastic. Perhaps we can do a BOGOFF offer?

March 08, 2007 6:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Rachel everyone's quoting you:
http://ollysonions.blogspot.com/2007/03/future-looks-bright-for-conspiracy.html
EVERYONE IS SAYING IT WAS A CONSPIRACY

March 10, 2007 11:08 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Bless. One more satirical wesbite taking the piss out of conspiraloons. And the loons think it's vindication, still, calmly reading what's in front of them with subjective blinkers off was never their strong point...


...some people will always see conspiracies. They just won't find a sympathetic ear on my blog.

March 10, 2007 11:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you, Rachel, for all your hard work and good luck.

March 10, 2007 3:04 pm  
Blogger Numeral said...

Rachel

I would just like to note that the comment from "Kier" above was not made by Kier of the July 7th campaign. I do not know who it was.

March 13, 2007 12:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home