Friday, March 02, 2007

Submitted

Well, I've done it. My book has been submitted to the publisher. Of course, the minute I sent it I found all these grammatical errors, argh, which I'll tighten up over the weekend. That's what comes of working too long and too late and faffing. There's a few weeks of tweaks to do with the editor, whom I'm looking forward to meeting, but basically, it's in and I made the extended deadline. Woo hoo! \o/

I've been working flat out in a lovely, airy office in central London, looking out over the rooftops of Soho, loaned to me by David G, (the utter star). Much nicer than my little study full of drying washing, mess and muddle and no fatso cat to jump on the keyboard and spill my tea.

Now the book's been handed in, I can paint and tidy the study so it becomes a nicer place to work. I'm going to spend my birthday Homebase voucher from Jane on some paints, and shelves, and plants...put up some pictures, file away all the old research that stuff that is currently in tottering heaps...

I am giving myself a little break for a week, looking after myself, going to the gym and cinema, going for walks and catching up with friends. I've barely surfaced all last month - well, all year really - yesterday I did a marathon stint in David's office and then got home and carried on working til 3.00am. It has been a bit all-consuming.

I am finally coming up for air, I have thought of little else but making the deadline and not letting anything distract me from that. Even the wedding has taken a back seat. But I can change that now, and enjoy waiting to be a bride...

Some fabric swatches have just arrived for me to look at for my wedding dress. I have a hundred invites to send out. I missed 3 days of gym training this week and I can't wait to get back on it. I have lost eight pounds in just over two weeks, eating lots of fish and veg, going to the gym first thing, and power-walking home then home, quick shower and straight back out to work on the book. My back is rock-solid and achy-stiff with typing. 80,000 words and fiteen chapters and a lot of my heart and soul.

I'm not drinking, but I think this calls for a small whiskey, and a deep hot bath.

Cheers.

Labels: , , ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!
Great news!
^_^

love and hugs...

March 02, 2007 10:36 pm  
Blogger TN said...

Well done, enjoy your drink and then get down to the *real* stuff of marrying the man you love. x

March 03, 2007 12:11 am  
Blogger Dr Michelle Tempest said...

well done for getting your book to the publisher! Have a good weekend. michelle

March 03, 2007 12:13 am  
Blogger Davide Simonetti said...

Congratulations! I look forward to reading the book when it comes out.

Dx

March 03, 2007 12:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew indeed. How wonderful. Well done Rachel. Don't beat yourself up over a phew typios. Oh hang on. :)

March 03, 2007 12:30 am  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!

This is so exciting!
Congrats to you!

March 03, 2007 2:03 am  
Blogger jailhouselawyer said...

Congratulations and jubilations etc, etc...

March 03, 2007 9:23 am  
Blogger Ally said...

Good for you!

March 03, 2007 9:59 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

looking forward to the book and we'll plug it to death for you.

March 03, 2007 1:44 pm  
Blogger zoe said...

congratulations! it's a lot of work, but i'm sure it'll be worth it in the end - if not, what am i killing myself over ?;)

March 03, 2007 1:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look forward (given the content) to the book. Enjoy the rest (maybe allow yourself time to look at tonight's lunar eclipse ?) and even the DIY.

I know about the typos and silly errors which you wouldn't normally let pass - your publisher/script editor/ should save you time by spotting them all.

Any chance of a (maybe regular-commenters' ) preview ? ... Thought not.

IainC

March 03, 2007 2:33 pm  
Blogger Debi said...

Congratulations. Enjoy the post-deadline pampering.

March 03, 2007 2:35 pm  
Blogger jailhouselawyer said...

Hi Rachel

Make sure that you leave room for a post script for the recent events from 10DS not 18DS.

Update at my place...

March 03, 2007 4:08 pm  
Blogger Ms Melancholy said...

Woo hoo! Hot bath would suit me just fine too.

March 03, 2007 10:11 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks everyone!

It has been hard work - I have been typing furiously for weeks and have not done much else apart from go to the gym in the day time. I have been out on the evenings though to see a musical and an opera so it has not been all work, work work. But having a routine of getting up, going to the gym, then going to 'the office' every single day has worked really well, and I am very grateful to David G for the loan of his lovely Soho space to work in. Going to work has been a pleasure!

(If anyone is wondering, I really have been in the office all week, and nowhere else. Someone said they saw me somewhere else - but that was an odd and puzzling case of mistaken identity.)

March 04, 2007 9:52 am  
Blogger jailhouselawyer said...

Hi Rachel

In case you haven't heard the inside story, The Friday Project is offering me a book deal. The email states "I found your blog via a comment you left on Rachel North London's blog (we're publishing her book) and it struck me that your's is a fascinating story)".

Not in a bad way, but thanks for being in the right place at the right time.

I do rather like their slogan "turning the best of the web into the finest books". It does give me a glow to know that those who have slagged us both off in posts have now been proved wrong. And in the very medium they attacked us. I bet they feel silly now.

March 04, 2007 1:44 pm  
Blogger TryingTimes said...

Congratulations on the milestone of getting your book to the publisher.

Make space and enjoy that feeling.
:)



TT.

March 04, 2007 4:11 pm  
Blogger jailhouselawyer said...

Hi Rachel

I've just added a link to your blog in my blogroll.

March 04, 2007 6:09 pm  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Huge congratulations!

March 04, 2007 7:48 pm  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

The sense of achievement must be massive - enjoy every second of it!

Puss

March 06, 2007 4:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the book about, again? Think I might have missed something.

March 06, 2007 8:45 pm  
Blogger Emily said...

Hi Rachel

Congratulations of reaching that mindblowing milestone! I can't wait to read it. I am sure it is going to be brilliant. And stuff all the green eyes.

xxx

March 06, 2007 9:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home