Saturday, December 24, 2005

9 Lessons and Carols

At 3.00pm I will be listening to A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, from King's College Cambridge.

You can listen to it by clicking here and selecting 'listen live' on BBC Radio 4.

My mother always listens and I always listen if I can. One year I listened in Poland on a small radio, as it goes out on BBC World Service too. When the choirmaster taps the chosen chorister on the shoulder, and that is his cue to sing the first verse of Once in Royal David's city, solo, unaccompanied, it always makes my skin tingle. This year it will probably make my eyes well up too.

I will be wrapping presents in the study this year whilst I listen. Afterwards J and I are going to eat a dozen oysters and a dozen prawns. He is going to have to open them for me as I sliced my left pointing finger open yesterday whilst chopping a leek with the insanely sharp knives J's dad gave us for Christmas. Not having all the use of all my fingers is making typing difficult. I have also lost my voice. So it will be a quiet Christmas both on and offline.

It is a beautiful crisp day, the sun is dazzling and people are wearing Santa hats outside and being unusually smiley and friendly. In Upper Street part of the street is cordoned off because of a shooting last night, but the good news is, nobody died. I did a bit of last minute Christmas shopping and gave my friend Kat her card. Now all I have to is relax. Kapra's Wonderful Life is planned for later.

Hooray for Christmas, and the gentle ending of the year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi rachel,

im decking my halls with matzohballs !!! LOL

again,wishing you and j a very merry christmas.

seth :)

December 24, 2005 5:02 pm  
Blogger Station Supervisor said...

Have a good Christmas Rachel.

I hope you have a good New Year.

The Great Orme

December 24, 2005 9:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home