Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Alanis gets the hump



Unexpectedly poignant as well as funny. And making a point about the commoditisation of women in music videos by plaintively covering one of the most awful ear-bleeding commercial tracks with some of the worst, most inane lyrics of all time. The sad thing is how many people on U-tube comments *don't get it*. Viz:

'stupid shes a copy cat she is coping from the black eyed peas f*ck u' ( 'natashayuchingyi')

' i liked her earlier stuff much more! She's acting like a whore!' ('Valentine Freaky Goth')

Tsk, the youth of today. Here's the terrible, non-ironic original. I have a new respect for Alanis, who normally sets my teeth on edge - even if she doesn't know what 'ironic' means.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Blimey. Officially forgiven for 'Ironic', I reckon.

July 05, 2007 8:38 am  
Blogger Jonathan Beckett said...

Hehehe... I smile every time Ironic comes on.

I got just as wound up about "The Pursuit of Happyness", until I saw the movie and realised that it was done on purpose...

July 05, 2007 1:24 pm  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Isn't she clever?

July 05, 2007 6:24 pm  
Blogger Brennig said...

Hi Rachel,

The Lovely S and I are in bed (yeah, don't look at the timestamp), just finished watching this video...

Awestruck - that's the word that comes closest to summing up our feelings.

I'll not automatically write off her name when I hear it in the future.

July 05, 2007 8:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home