Friday, May 09, 2008

When a Woman is Fed Up with the Mail


Following on from Zoe's Guardian piece about newspapers nicking the work of bloggers, and Jonny B's problems with the Mail on Sunday, we now have blogger Natalie/ NML's story of defamation and misrepresentation by the Daily Mail.

UPDATE: 13 May - The Mail have removed the defamatory article from their website - strike one!

Over to NML...

Thursday, May 08, 2008

The Daily Mail Newspaper Tells Everyone that I Blog for "E-Venge"

On April 30th just after 3.30pm, I snatched up my phone and bit the bullet. I called up the journalist that had 'interviewed' me (I say this loosely) and expressed my upset at her not actually stating that she was interviewing me and my concern that I would be included in a feature about revenge, which is not what I, or this blog are about. I told her quite shrilly (I was stressed for fecks sake) that I did NOT want to open the paper and see something like "Blogger gets revenge on ex with her blog!" or some other pathetic headline.

I went onto the Daily Mails supposed section for women yesterday and actually nearly threw up in shock!

"Don't get mad, get E-VENGE!"

It's even worse in the paper where just in case the Daily Mail hadn't quite put the full boot into misrepresenting me and featuring me in article full of TWENTY SIX inaccuracies about me, they added a sub header of "It's the new mantra for women using the internet to take revenge on cheating men".

Really, I don't think I have EVER been so angry!

More

NML is quite naturally, hurt and furious and she is complaining to the Press Complaints Commission, because she has been portrayed, quite falsely, as some kind of cyber-bunny boiler when she is in fact a successful, professional woman with a partner and an adorable baby.

Of course I have written to the Press Complaints Commission, the editor and yada, yada, yada, but the fact remains that their papers become someones loo roll the next day but that pile of shite that is their article is up online telling anyone and everyone that I am an e-venger. It's pretty disgusting and what's most appauling is that they have reduced four years of this blog, two and a half years of Baggage Reclaim, a year of Bambino Goodies, and various other blogs plus my contributing...to an act of revenge....against someone who didn't even mean enough for me to even fully dedicate the one blog post about his cheating. I even said "The revelation last night doesn't hurt, but it does anger me, but even that has passed." and then in true me fashion, I rambled on about my period....

Oh and I know for a fact that they stopped publishing comments on the story yesterday as I was contacted by several people who said that they had commented to set the record straight. So not only do they want to put up 26 inaccuracies about me, but for some reason, they don't want anyone to know about it...

NML is asking bloggers to spread the word.
Which I am more than happy to do. Go NML! Go word-spreading bloggers!
Update: This is a good post
Update: So is this

2 Comments:

Blogger NML/Natalie said...

Thanks for the support Rachel. This still doesn't seem real and then I glance at the poxy paper and feel even more determined to get my retraction and apology. xx

May 09, 2008 10:20 am  
Blogger Longrider said...

Rachel, none of this surprises me and given your experinece, I doubt is surprises you. I've commented on my blog: here

May 11, 2008 9:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home