Saturday, April 05, 2008

Grand National Day

Mr Pointment, King John's Castle, Slim Pickings, Hedgehunter, D'Argent, Chelsea Harbour and Bewley's Berry. £5 each way. Come on! And come home safely.

Heading over to my mate Susie's flat in Hackney in an hour, to watch the race with J, my sister, his best man/mate and about 5 other people.

When I was a baby, my mum put a bet on for me in the National and my horse won ( Specify). The proceeds bought a scarlet felt horse mobile, which hung above my cot, and later, over my sister and brother's cot. There is a longstanding family affection for this race; my mother was brought up in a house in Aintree that looked onto the race course - Blue Anchor Bridge was at the bottom of the road, or you could go to Railway Embankment to watch them take Bechers Brook.

Half the UK has a flutter today ,the average National bet is £8.

Who are you backing?

7 Comments:

Blogger JonnyB said...

Philson Run at 33-1 each way.

See you in the queue for winnings.

April 05, 2008 2:44 pm  
Blogger Carah Boden said...

Well, you didn't do too badly did you?! I chose 4 horses, my husband and three daughters 2 each. Twelve horses backed, 60 quid down and not a penny back for our trouble! We're not lucky in this family (last year middle daughter chose horse on strength of its jockey's colours and it came in first! Alas, no trip had been made to the bookies...). I put money on L'Ami to win (fell at 2nd), its stablemate Kelami (also fell), then two outsiders Milan Deux Mille and Cornish Sett (always worth it in the National) because of my connections to their names. At least Cornish Sett finished ahead of Hedgehunter and Milan DM headed the field for a while and STILL managed to finish, so it wasn't all bad. Snowy Morning was the one I told eldest to put money on but she went for Cloudy Lane. We also bet on Mr Pointman, Philson's Run and God knows who else. It's a lottery, but it's fun. My overwhelming sadness though is to hear that MacKelvey suffered a fatal injury. Losing £60is nothing compared to the loss of a beautiful big-hearted racehorse who had so much promise and so much still to give.

April 05, 2008 6:29 pm  
Blogger Brennig said...

Didn't. The National is too unpredictable for me to wager on, I'll stick to betting on siblings of the horses I own. But I admire the bravery of the horses and jockeys that took part at Aintree.

April 05, 2008 6:58 pm  
Blogger Tina - omme i London said...

Comply or die, Contraband and Cool Runnings (which appears not to exist!) - so I'm smiling. £15 banked. :)
Oh, and the choice? Purely made on the names, which tickled me.

April 05, 2008 9:41 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

I got Comply or Die in the sweepstake ( £90) and the second and fourth. Fundamentalist , my late bet, came nowhere...

Should have made at least £30.

;-)

April 06, 2008 1:43 am  
Blogger JonnyB said...

Bugger.

April 06, 2008 10:59 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

£47.50 profit for me!

Would have been a loss though if I hadn't won the sweepstake.

April 06, 2008 12:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home