Thursday, January 24, 2008

42 days & the latest terror laws

Blairwatch on 42 days detention

I just got asked yet again about my stance on the the Government's new terror proposals, including the proposal to extend the length of time people can be held and interrogated without being charged with any crime from 28 days to 48 days, which are officially unveiled today.

I've written about this in the Guardian, in the Sunday Times.

I've given evidence in front of the Home Affairs Committee, with Nick Clegg and David Davis
- none of whom back the increased detention plans.

Nor do Liberty. Nor does Parliament's Joint Human Rights Committee. Nor does Amnesty.
Nor does the ex-Attourney General or the former Lord Chancellor.
Nor does the Director of Public Prosecutions.
It is unnecessary and no case has been made to indicate that we need it. Worse than that, it's counter-productive

I said it before 90 days was debated. I've said it on my blog, over and over again for two years - you don't defeat terrorism by throwing away ancient liberties.

I'm sick of saying, it, but I will keep on saying it.

I just hope that people in the Houses of Parliament do the right thing.
Update: Mr Yogurt tells it like it is

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Hayley said...

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have!

January 24, 2008 2:52 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

They haven't voted on it yet...

January 25, 2008 12:01 pm  
Blogger Hayley said...

My bad, I read the BBC article wrong.

When is the vote?

January 25, 2008 12:30 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Not sure - yesterday was only day one of the debate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7206360.stm

January 25, 2008 2:41 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

Meanwhile George Bush thinks he's speaking for the 7/7 victims when he supports torture.

Sigh.

February 21, 2008 9:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home