Thursday, October 05, 2006

A quick update

I tell you what, this last week has been wild. I can't thank you all enough for all the support, advice, emails, comments, offers of glasses of wine. I've thanked and linked many of you in the post below. Let me know if I accidentally missed you out. I am sorry that I haven't finished replying personally to everyone who sent me emails, I am going to do so as soon as I can - hopefully today. This week has been a mad rush to make a deadline for a book pitch which I need to submit on Friday at the latest - I am still writing madly, and have done 12,000 words so far of the book in the last few days, plus a synopsis of the remaining chapters, I now have to get it all into a presentable form, edit and spell check it and hand it in as soon as possible. It is all very exciting but there just aren't enough hours in the day with all the admin and what have you that changing careers brings. Hopefully next week will be a bit calmer, and I can submit some ideas for features and diversify a bit.

At the moment, I get up, write from 7am- 9am, eat breakfast, shower and dress, write from 9.30-12pm, do admin, catch up with emails, write from 1pm-2pm, have lunch ( which for the last week has been a piece of toast eaten at my computer - so much for slow cooking and a chance to live a more healthy lifestyle), 2pm - 3pm, review what I have read, 3pm onwards, chores, more admin, catch up on emails, rush about sorting things that need to be sorted, evenings, have got a diaryful of previous commitments so social life continues apace. Blogging has been a bit on the back burner, especially considered think-pieces/rants on issues du jour. That will change as soon as I have met the book deadline. Then I will cross my fingers and see how many rejection slips I can take without hitting the whisky.

How all this feels? Scary, often. Fluttering feeling in my stomach. Energising. All-consuming - I have to make myself take breaks, I don't notice time passing when I write. What I am writing about is quite emotionally draining, so I notice that late afternoon I quite often hit a slump and realise that I have gone from wired to shattered. Next week I am going to have more time, I hope, and can factor exercise and healthy eating into my days, but at the moment, I am absolutely flat out, and I have to say, I am absolutely LOVING it.

I feel alive, more alive than I have done for years, and I know that I am finally doing what I really want to do. When I did the foundation year of a psychology MA a few years ago we looked at what was called congruence: which to me means the head and the heart and the actions of a person all in alignment. Congruency in life, we were told, leads to increased energy and inspiration,being true to yourself. Carl Rogers stated that the personality is like a triangle made up of the real self, the perceived self, and ideal self. According to Rogers, when there is a good fit between all three components, the person has congruence. This is a healthy state of being and helps people continue to progress toward self-actualization. Whatever, all I can say is, right now, I feel like I am flying. Long may this continue.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to say, thank you!

I never expected to be name checked, but I am honoured that you did so.

Thank you!!

BTW - tea break time :)

October 05, 2006 12:20 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks Rachel for taking time to link to everyone who has wished you well. It is much appreciated.

Hope all is going well with the book. It sounds like great fun.

Rx

October 05, 2006 2:22 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

You sound happier than ever in your blog Rachel so as you said ... long may it continue :).

October 05, 2006 10:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi rachel,

sounds like you are much happier not being part of the "rat race" as we call it here in the states. i really think that you would make a great investigative reporter for one of the london papers-maybe thats your true calling.

hope alls well with you and j...seth :)

October 06, 2006 12:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done!!

October 06, 2006 12:10 am  
Blogger Helibags said...

Rachel,
Thank you and congratulations.
x

October 06, 2006 9:17 am  
Blogger the void said...

http://www.londonfreelance.org/index.html

may well be worth a look, lots of practical advice (the sites run by the NUJ)

October 06, 2006 10:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,
Another thought that has occured to me is that you could take CiF by storm, couldn't you? I hope you have this sorted!
Personally, I balk at the level of 'feedback' that writers gain and fear a thicko like me would be ripped apart! But I bet your reasoned and intelligent pieces would go down really well. My humble opinion is that they need more 'real' people who can write as opposed to, well as opposed to some of the smartypants they already have!
Good luck and thank you for the link. :)
Linda

October 06, 2006 2:14 pm  
Blogger mike said...

"Congruence" is my new favourite word! Have just caught up with recent posts - what a great time for you, and the best of luck. Wish I had the nerve / determination / focus / stamina / self-belief / contacts / opportunity / talent to do something similar, but vicarious living is fun too! :-)

October 06, 2006 3:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a Starlet!

Just do it!

Bloody well done! It hurts, but well worth it.

October 06, 2006 9:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurrah hurrah! I haven't been reading you as regularly since school started last month, so this was a bit of a surprise. I am SO excited for you and hope it goes very well. Best wishes to you and Jon. It is going to be tough to wait the coming months to be able to read you in a bound book. Please make sure it's available in the US as well (or let us know how to order it from UK).

Cheers,
Carolee

October 07, 2006 6:03 am  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”

Attributed to Goethe but apparently not by him at all... Still good words tho'.

Best of luck - look forward to seeing the book in Waterstones!

GP

October 09, 2006 4:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home