Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A break at last - Richard & Judy!




At long last my luck seems to have changed with the book promotion.

Launching a book on Friday 13th vs. Alistair Campbell's diaries, followed by JK Rowling mania was tough. Mum's stroke on the 9th July - the first day of book launch week ensued all launch plans including the party were scuppered as all I wanted to do was rush to her side. This Morning blew me out at the 11th hour, ( damn, I bought a new dress specially) and GMTV had me on at 6am and wouldn't let me mention the book at all! Since then I have been plugging away on a gruelling local radio schedule on Fridays, the day when I am in London, doing back to back interviews in a small studio, talking about being attacked again and again and coming home like a weepy wrung-out wet dishcloth.

But now - joy! I have been asked to appear on Richard and Judy this afternoon.

This is a minor miracle, especially as the show is shorter than usual this week because of the Goodwood races. I was first asked to be on Wednesday, which was exciting enough but would have meant I couldn't mention the book because Wednesday is Summer Reading Day, when the fortunate few titles who have been picked to be the Richard and Judy Summer Reads are plugged and their lucky authors bask in the knowledge that their books will be sure-fire bestsellers. As you can only mention one book per show, if I had gone on Wednesday, I would not have been able to mention the book at all, though it would have been mentioned on the website, which has over 250,000 hits a week.

But being on today instead means I can talk about the book. Even nicer is I get to go on with my father! We will be talking about how you deal with two hammer blows ( three now, with mum's stroke) and what it does to your beliefs, how you cope. The call came because of a Relative Values piece in the Sunday Times, which Judy noticed, and which my ex-colleague Matt wrote, about me and Dad. So I'm not on because of the book. I'm on because of the story behind the book. But it's a break, it's a chance, it's a dream answered. At last, some good news.

The Richard and Judy effect can be phenomenal, even for books that are not picked for the stellar heights of Summer Reading. So now I have to iron the dress and wash my hair and try not to panic, and hope that Mum will be watching with the nurses at 5pm, and hope that Dad and I will do her proud. Cross your fingers for us.

UPDATE: MD Clare is very excited
So is Commercial Director Scott

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the very best Rachel. I'm sure you'll do brilliantly. Speak from the heart..as always.

Best,
Amrit

July 31, 2007 11:07 am  
Blogger Justin said...

Excellent news. And at last, a reason to watch Richard and Judy.

July 31, 2007 11:52 am  
Blogger Dave Hodgkinson said...

Richard and Judy today, Oprah tomorrow! Well done :)

July 31, 2007 11:57 am  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Coo-blooming-er.

It's all gone a bit fabulous hasn't it? Will be thinking of you and your pa, and your mum too. You deserved the break for this book.

Good on you for getting the luck you shuld have.

July 31, 2007 11:59 am  
Blogger Paul Burgin said...

Saw the interview you and your Dad had in The Sunday Times.I don't know if impressed is the right word but I was

July 31, 2007 12:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck on R&J - your ability to stay sane, articulate and human is deeply moving.

Have just ordered my copy of the book from Amazon and was pleased to think that some of my money will go direct to you - please spend it on something suitably frivolous!

July 31, 2007 12:25 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

Fantastic news Rachel and will make sure I watch :). About time you had some luck.

July 31, 2007 1:11 pm  
Blogger kiwi in london said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 31, 2007 1:17 pm  
Blogger kiwi in london said...

Good luck Rachel. Just speak from the heart. I will be watching. Kia Kaha (stay strong) I have just finished your book. I couldnt put it down, a very well written book, a story that needed to be told

July 31, 2007 1:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember someone saying previously that the best sales you could get would be for the book to be on R&J book club (now Summer Read) list. Well this is probably the nearest thing. My preference would be for it/you to feature on NewsNight Review (and possibly one of their researchers might pick it up) - a good critical review there would certainly do it in terms of both sales and recognition.

My view of Messrs Finnegan and Maddely is that they have good hearts in spite of following what they perceive to be fashionable (was Big Brother, now MySpace, etc.). There is no subject too lightweight for them to feature it, and inevitably you will have to follow or precede some piece of Heat or Ok type fluff. Of the two, she is probably the more intelligent, but neither possess the ability to listen properly to what their interviewees say. In particular, he tends to go off at alarming tangents- just watch her expression at yet another embarrassing revelation about their (thankfully not your) personal life.

But nobody can fail to be moved by your experiences and impressed by your writing ability, and this will surely come through regardless of their amateurism. Even another 'behind the sofa' R&J interview will only be good for the book and may well lead to better things.

IainC

July 31, 2007 2:10 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Good luck Rachel

July 31, 2007 3:52 pm  
Blogger Poetess said...

Have just watched you on R and J. I'm so pleased you are staying positive and I wish you every happiness and success with the book.

Poetessxxx

July 31, 2007 5:51 pm  
Blogger Graham the Funky Aardvark said...

That was great.

My girlfriend now wants to read your book too :)

Your dad and you both look great too, none of the worry in your eyes

Hope your mother got to see it too.

July 31, 2007 7:16 pm  
Blogger Holly Finch said...

fantastic misses!...so happy for you...i have just read the relative values piece on line...it was beautiful and very moving...sure you were your usual marvelous self on r&j...shame i couldn't catch it out here!
hxxx

July 31, 2007 7:19 pm  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh I wish I had read this earlier, I would have tuned in to R & J.
I emjoyed the Sunday Times piece and am about to order your book online.

July 31, 2007 8:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Rachel

I broke a habit of a lifetime and tuned in to R&J to watch the interview - I thought it was fine and I'm sure it will help raise the profile of the book. My copy has arrived from Amazon but I've not had the chance to start reading it yet.

The main thing I took from the interview was how close you and your dad were - it really felt like you were there as a team, supporting each other as you have clearly done over the years.

Hope you're not too exhausted after the experience - onwards and upwards with your writing career from here...

Joanna

July 31, 2007 8:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting on R&J. I've only just seen your post, so missed the programme, but if it's any consolation at around the time your were appearing on TV today, I finally got to a book shop and purchased a copy of 'Out of the Tunnel'!

July 31, 2007 11:18 pm  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I never watch daytime/teatime tv but saw this news on Scott's blog and made sure I watched. I was really impressed - both you and your Dad came over really well and I'm sure it will sell many more books! Which reminds me - I really must buy a copy myself...

August 01, 2007 10:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope it went really well, sounds like it did. Once you're on Richard nad Judy you know you've made it...

August 01, 2007 8:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you and you were great. And the dress was gorgeous. Your compassion is beautiful. There was so much more they could of asked, but the interview moved me to tears. I have a dodgy video copy if you don't have a fancy schamancy one. Love Beth (Anna's friend and pole dance wannabe!). xxxxx

August 02, 2007 9:11 am  
Blogger Henry North London 2.0 said...

Sorry Ive only just got to this as have been stuck in bed with a temperature and feeling bleaurghh:P

Well done for getting on R&J and plugging the book.

August 02, 2007 3:05 pm  
Blogger Rev Paul Martin said...

Rachel, I find both your contribution and that of your father to be very thought provoking.

It was the best thing I've seen from Richard and Judy for many years.

I will try to get your book when my next pay check arrives.

August 03, 2007 7:53 pm  
Blogger Graham the Funky Aardvark said...

Watched it again (thanks for the YouTube video)

You know, your dad must be a darn good priest, he is a darn good speaker

What did your mother think?

August 03, 2007 9:51 pm  
Blogger JM said...

So nice to see you & hear your voice on the youtube video. you looked beautiful!

-marina

August 04, 2007 12:53 am  
Blogger Steve_Roberts said...

At last, something worthwhile on daytime TV !

I bought my copy of OOTT yesterday and read it straight through. My verdict: this is a great book, everybody, buy it read it, give it as a present.

NB if you buy it in Waterstone's, you'll have to hunt for it in the biography section.

August 04, 2007 11:58 am  
Blogger dulwichmum said...

Dear Rachel,

What a wonderful and moving story. I envy your courage and optimism, and I really like your dad. I hope your book becomes a best seller. I am off to buy a copy tomorrow.

August 05, 2007 9:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home